Friday, September 13, 2013

Mini Mounted Antlers

Sooo... it looks like the antler craze isn't going anywhere, and call me crazy, but I'm still really digging rooms that include mounted antlers... after our five days of "Indian Summer" last week, it's feeling a lot like fall.  The nights are getting colder, the leaves are starting to change, and the jammed up cars on our street every morning tell me that all the kiddos are back in school!  I love that mounted antlers are sort of the toned down, gentrified version of the mounted moose head, and brings just a hint of hunting lodge rustic to an otherwise citified space.  Kind of the perfect season decor to welcome autumn, and lead into winter!

One of my favorite examples...

Cool right? It's "backwoods rednecks" meets "civilized city folk".  Ha!

The thing I like most about the mounted antlers is that there are no beady animal eyes staring you down... and no fur... just a clean leather mount.

And just look at how lovely these are on a simple white mount against the dark putty colored paint...

Does anyone else totally adore Erin Gates of Elements of Style??  Remember this post about her trip to Brimfield antique show??  And this awesome display of antlers??

It's clear I like the look of mounted antlers, but did anyone else know that these bad boys are expensive??? They can easily run up to several hundred dollars each!  That's not going to fly...

I did a little search on Etsy, and came up with a few affordable options (affordable meaning, anything under $100)...
This one is $59 dollars... not bad, but I really dont like the fact that the screws are literally going through this poor deer's scull...

This one is a definite improvement, however the plaid would pretty much completely clash with the look and feel of everything else in our house... and for $100, it better be perfect.

These ones areMUCH more my speed... it's ~$110 for all three, but they are faux, so no poor little deer had to die, AND they are white... so clean and pretty.

And this one is perhaps my favorite... a faux deer mount made of resin... well hello there little guy.  I'd love this even more in white, and he'd look quite dapper (I think) dressed up for the holidays - perhaps with a jaunty wreath around his neck... kind of like this:

So what's your verdict? Are antlers still in, or are they out??  Or in your opinion, were they NEVER in??

Happy Friday!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment