Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Living Room Re-design

Do you ever have those moments when you turn around and completely hate everything in your space?? This happens to me most mornings when I try to get dressed - tons of clothes in the closet but nothing to wear...

Well, it's started happening with decor now too - eek!

Our living room got a few updates earlier this year with a new rug, a gallery wall, and a dolled up wine hutch, but since then it has been at a complete standstill for many months.


I can't stand the lack of change, so the time has come to switch things up.

I made a laundry list of the things I want to change, and came up with an inspiration board for how I want this space to feel - lighter colors, more natural wood elements, and overall a more organic feel...


Living Room Wishlist:
  - New sofa
  - "New" Area Rug
  - Cowhide rug (for layering)
  - Lighter colored side tables
  - Weathered wood coffee table
  - Additional Seating

I'm desperate for a new sofa (it's about time!) and while I've been talking about getting rid of all the dark furniture (coffee table and side tables), it's time!

The area rug is an easy fix - this creme colored trellis rug is the exact area rug that we have in our bedroom, and I think the rug currently in our living room would look fabulous in our bedroom with all the white bedding, and navy chevron curtains... so the easy solution is to swap rugs.  Bedroom rug moves to the living room, and living room rug moves to the bedroom.  The annoying part of this??  Moving the mattress, boxsprings, frame and headboard out of the way first...

Ok let's not think about that... let's talk about my plans for a cowhide rug... RugsUSA has a fab 75% off sale running over the 4th of July, making this cowhide rug just $245! I think I need to have it.....

Obviously, I can't afford don't plan to splurge on a new rug, new side tables, a new coffee table, a new chair (or pair of chairs) and a new sofa all at once, I'm thinking of making some temporary tweaks to what we already have in order to feel happier with this space overall... how will I do this??

PAINT.

Yep - that coffee table and side tables are getting a mini makeover in the meantime before I replace them.  They have no idea what is coming their way! I'm thinking a clean creamy white, or even a pretty light blue like the side table in the inspiration photo... although notice the card catalog drawers??? That side table is high up on my wish list....

I'm also contemplating changing up the layout of the room, but I'll cross that bridge after making some of the initial changes to color palette.... stay tuned for more...........

No comments:

Post a Comment